 Technic / 14733
Re: Bell Hoss
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 18:38:31 GMT

In lugnet.technic, David Wegmuller wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Nathan Bell wrote:
It will be all remote controlled, with the exception of the
tracks.  The steering mechanism from the RC set I have is ideal for the
transmission shifter.
Hi Nathan,
This MOC looks promissing! I find building compact models to be a real
challenge... I like your track design!
What type of turn table are you using to rotate the super structure? I've found
that part to be the weakest link on many crane MOCs I've built...
Using the RC system to control the crane is great!
How is your speed selector setup:
- left = gear1, center = disengaged, right = gear2
or
- left -= gear1, center = gear2, right = gear3
(I've been thinking about a similar system to provide three speeds for a
buldozer)
One more thing: make sure you keep easy access to the battery compartment of the
RC receiver... There is nothing more frustrating than having to take appart a
nice MOC everytime you want to change the batteries, trust me ;-)

Greetings,
David

Thanks Dave!

The gearing is as follows: The center position is for the hook winch; seeing as
it is the default position and will not create any drastic change in the crane's
stability.  The top position is for the boom winch, and the bottom position is
for the rotating crane platform.  The main problem right now is that I geared
everything very low thinking those motors were high-speed.  The result is 3
shafts that turn very slowly.  This could be good for mechanical advantage, but
one would need to look for an auxillary source of entertainment while waiting
for anything to happen.

Thanks for the reminder about the battery box.  This thing will require so much
testing that the batteries may run out before it is finished.

I probably have old pics of the turntable I can post next time.  There are no
roller bearings; just a standard 72-toothed turntable with support from an
octagonal flat plate around it.  I don't generally build anything big enough to
need roller bearings.

Another issue is finding out how high or low in the drivetrain the white clutch
gears need to be incorporated.

My goal right now is not to build really big, but to build as many models (or
toys) simultaneously as possible. Each will have as many functions as possible
and all will be relatively in the same scale.

Nathan