 Technic / 14645
Re: Help please: I'm trying to get two outputs from one shaft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 21:57:39 GMT

In lugnet.technic, David Wegmuller wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Tony Hafner wrote:
I have one shaft that will be turned by a motor in either direction.  And
I want to get two different outputs, based on which direction the motor is
turning.

When the Input shaft turns clockwise, Output 1 turns and Output 2 does not.
When the Input shaft turns counter-clockwise, Output 2 turns and Output 1
does not.

Hi Tony,
Here is something I put together real fast during my lunch break:
http://wegmuller.org/v-web/gallery/OneInTwoOut The movies are quite big
(4MB a piece) but they show clearly how this thing works... Notice that it
works in any position as the mechanism is balanced.

This is great stuff, and will probably work for my application.  It's
mechanically much simpler than a differential with rachets.  Thanks!!

An other approach to this is the "traveling worm gear": it relies on the
fact that Lego worm gear slide freely along cross axles. If you're
interested, I'll put one together tonight...

I think I can picture how that works:
You have a 4-stud-long box with a shaft running lengthwise with a single worm
gear.  At each end is an output gear.  The worm gear slides along the output
gears until it hits either end, and then starts turning that output gear?

I wouldn't mind seeing an implementation of this, but don't knock yourself out.

Speaking of worm gears: if you need the non-rotating output to be locked
when it is not driven, you can always use a worm gear between this
mechanism and the application point.

I may use the worm gear lock on one of the two outputs.  The other one should be
OK.

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com