 Technic / 14504
Re: Dual Hex small piston compressor (repost)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 23:06:05 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
After some research, I proved to myself that small pneumatic pumps are best for
motorized compressors (what a suprise, Dr. Soh was right ;^)  For those who are
unaware, Dr Soh, is a long time LEGO pneumatic enthusiast, who is particularly
interested in pneumatic engines.  He has a great website here:
http://www.fifth-r.com/cssoh1/contents.htm  When I first got started on
pneumatics, I learned much about pneumatics from his site.

Given that so many of my creations are pneumatic, I need a good compressor.
Here is my best so far.  Two battery boxes, two RC racer motors, and 12 small
pneumatic pumps arranged in two radial six piston compressors.

This made an appearance at BrickFest2004 but was not in working condition because
of broken hoses.

Hi Kevin

I've just been studying the pictures again and they gave rise to a few thoughts.
The broken hoses, I'm assuming you mean they pop off rather than suffer fatigue
cracking, so is this because the pressure generated inside can become so great
it pops a joint or is it due to the actual movement back and forth of the
compressor bodies waggling the joints loose? I think that the shortness of the
lengths of hose must make them relatively inflexible, possibly exacerbating the
waggling problem. I've always thought that some of the energy is wasted bending
the hoses that could be used to compress more air, and I suppose the more rigid
the pipe the more energy would be wasted.

Steve

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/dual-hex-compressor

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/dual-hex-compressor/p9090172.jpg

Enjoy!