 Technic / 14388
Re: Using town garage door pieces for bulldozer treads
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 18:52:46 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Nathan Bell wrote:
Has anyone ever done this?  They probably would not get good traction, seeing
as how the only way to keep them from coming off the rollers is to put the
handles on the inside and use them to hold the tread on.  I think maybe it
would be hard to get all pieces with the handles, but one thing is for sure-
the treads would be wide enough!

I'm not sure how you could use any of the doors w/ handles, since the
handled-door panels have to be on the end of a series of doors... Might run the
risk of popping apart too, I dunno...

I asked a while ago in a thread about making custom treads, and I got a few
useful responses:
http://news.lugnet.com/build/?n=15728

The best was a design that I ended up using a slight variant on:

Using 3-wide wheels to run the treads on, it's VERY smooth. However, in some
test runs, you can also attach these treads to the small knobbed gear:
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/32072

Using those increases friction quite a bit, but *does* let you hook into a
technic axle! Actually.. Come to think of it, I bet you could get a reasonable
amount of friction if you used two of those gears per "bend" in the tread
(essentially widening each bend). Hmm.

DaveE