 Technic / 1427
Re: MOC: Kennedy Space Center Crawler/Transporter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 15:11:49 GMT

"Mark Haye" <haye@us.ibm.com> wrote:

I'd like to announce the completion of my latest LEGO construction:
A working model of the Kennedy Space Center's Crawler/Transporter.

The KSC Crawler/Transporters have treaded "crawlers" that support
an automatically leveled platform on which the launch vehicle is carried
from the Vehicle Assembly Building to the launch pad.

In order to coordinate the individual crawlers and keep the platform
level, my model uses four LEGO MINDSTORMS RCXs, each of which
controls a light, touch, and rotation sensor, and two motors (one of the
RCXs also controls a third motor).  The model (with a crude attempt at
the first stage of a Saturn V rocket on the platform) is over 4.5 feet
(136cm) tall and weighs over 27 pounds (12.2kg).

More details (and pictures) at:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Runway/1604/ksc_ct.html

Followups set to lugnet.technic

...stunning... way cool... I will be studying this model for some time, both the
techniques to reinforce a huge technic structure like that as well as the mechanical
details of the movement. The write up is great! congratulations on an excellent model!

...you can go back to ignoring me now...

wubwub
stephen f roberts
wamalug guy  (http://wamalug.org)
wildlink.com