 Technic / 14137
    Re: Help with redesigning a Boat Lock —Jennifer Clark
   (...) What if two gears were used, one on either side of the the worm, effectively pinching it between them? That should stop any flexing and prevent the teeth from slipping. Jennifer (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Help with redesigning a Boat Lock —David Koudys
     (...) Thanks to this advice, I've got a pretty good idea how we can fix the lift lock, but I'll throw somethign together at home tonite to test... THen I'l bring it to dinner next Friday Dave K (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Help with redesigning a Boat Lock —danny staple
   (...) This is an interesting proposition - but I would be wary. I dont have a Lego worm gear to hand, but if the rear is a half turn out from the front - then the teeth may not match up. Also I think using the worm gears is a great idea -I would (...) (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Help with redesigning a Boat Lock —Jennifer Clark
   (...) The teeth won't match up as you say, but only one if the gears needs to be fixed - the other can be an idler, with its sole function being to pinch the worm gear, not raise the platform. Jennifer (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Help with redesigning a Boat Lock —danny staple
   (...) Ah - hadnt thought of it like that. In which case- it would be worth using more than one set (gear+idler) for additional stability. Danny (19 years ago, 7-May-05, to lugnet.technic)