 Technic / 13920
Re: Please critique my truss designs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 23:22:58 GMT

In lugnet.technic, John Ladasky wrote:
   Greetings, Technic builders!

Hi there!

   Here’s a wide truss:

Here’s a narrow one:

I want to make a truss about a meter in length. I want to have a mass at each end, like a dumbbell. Each mass will be about 300 grams. I want to be able to place the model standing up, on one end, and I want to lay it down on its side. I prefer the narrow truss to the wide one.

Does this seem practical? Do I need perpendicular bracing anywhere? (Again, I’m going to care about its appearance as well as its strength.)

Seems very practical to me. If the load is confined to the ends, your construction should easily handle it. However if you plan to suspend (lift/mount) it from any point on the truss, I would suggest adding a vertical brace at that point, and you may also require extra diagonal bracing, from that point direct to each end.

Good luck!

ROSCO