 Technic / 13917
13916  |  13918
Subject:
Please critique my truss designs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 16:47:36 GMT

Greetings, Technic builders!

I have been very impressed with the giant bridges and cranes that you folks can build. Now I am working on a model that requires a truss. The model is minifig scale, so I care about the look of the truss, as much as its strength. I don’t want to secure three Technic beams together using triple pegs -- that’s way too bulky for what I have in mind.

Still, I want to build something that won’t fall apart. So I thought that I would ask you all for your comments before I buy a lot of parts that I do not yet own.

I’m using a perfect Pythagorean 3-4-5 right triangle geometry for the diagonal braces. Scaled up to use the 16L Technic link parts for the diagonals, this gives a 9-12-15 triangle. I’ve tried two designs, with the triangles in different orientations.

Here’s a wide truss:

Here’s a narrow one:

Half of the diagonal links are secured to Technic beams using friction pegs. This is nothing new. But half of the diagonals are secured by attaching the link onto the stud of a plate on one side. That’s pretty much all the firm contact that this part receives. I stick a Technic half-peg into the other side of the link and into another plate, but this contact is looser and may not be adding much strength. I have one stud of empty space next to each diagonal connection which cannot be filled with a square brick, because of the angle of the link. However, I can place 1 x 1 round bricks in these spaces on the wide truss, which might provide a bit more resistance to the diagonals popping out. The round bricks also fill in the awkward-looking (to my eyes) holes.

On the narrow truss, even 1 x 1 round pieces don’t fit in next to the diagonals. But 1 x 1 taps can still be squeezed in (and I’ll use the taps to attach stuff to the sides of the beam):

I had just enough link parts to secure each beam of the trusses three times to its neighbors. This was enough for me to build a minimal, rigid truss. The designs seem to be reasonably stiff and strong, but I don’t have a lot of experience with this.

I want to make a truss about a meter in length. I want to have a mass at each end, like a dumbbell. Each mass will be about 300 grams. I want to be able to place the model standing up, on one end, and I want to lay it down on its side. I prefer the narrow truss to the wide one.

Does this seem practical? Do I need perpendicular bracing anywhere? (Again, I’m going to care about its appearance as well as its strength.)

Thanks for your comments!

John Ladasky