 Technic / 13850
Re: Ackerman steering geometry : How do you make it ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 22:03:38 GMT

Didier Enjary schreef:
In lugnet.technic, Jennifer Clark wrote:

In lugnet.technic, Didier Enjary wrote:

Did TLC propose such a mechanical device in an official sets ?

The 8860 Auto Chassis had it back in 1980!

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8860

<<http://library.brickshelf.com/scans/8000/8860/8860-16.jpg>>

Jennifer

Thank you, I had completely forgotten this kind of steering device in this
model, however well-known.

This assembly not only answers the principle of Ackerman but in more the rack
move in a straight line (as far as I remember). It is just a bit cumbersome.

Ackerman principle may seems useless for common use (cars) but there are some
usefull examples, as the one you can see on this picture (forklift steering) :

http://www.maj.com/gallery/dickydidier/Ackerman/ackerman.jpg

Didier

The barcode truck (8479) can steer that sharp!
try to build up to step 14 (page 10) and try how far the wheels can turn
to the right and or left side. The inside wheel can turn for 90 degrees!
There is no room for the wheel but you can create it by building your
own vehicle.

Greetings
Maico Arts