 Technic / 13840
Re: Legos' V6's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 17:17:37 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Gary Simas wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Nathan Bell wrote:
Maybe I'm crazy, but don't most trucks with a 6-cylinder engine have the
cylinders inline? Every Lego truck or crane has a V6.  Their designs have  been
like that for over 10 years.  Is this just because a "V" fits in well, or do
European trucks actually have V6's in their trucks? As far as I know, most
American Rigs have either a V8 or and inline engine. I thought inline engines
were better for torque and V's were better for RPM's.  I don't know very much
about engines though.

Nathan Bell

Here in the US I don't think there is an inline 6 in anything other than the
full size dodge diesel pick-up and the new chevy trailblazer.
Gary

The inline-6 engine design is inherently perfectly balanced - hence most current
north american truck diesel engines are inline-6 designs.  For example, Cummins
inline-6 diesels are used in everything from the Dodge Ram pickup, to normal
single/dual axle trucks, and all 18-wheelers.  Sizes from 5.9l all the way up to
19 liters (australian road trains and northern canadian logging trucks).  Yes,
the pistons in the 19l are BIG.

Different manufacturers may have different preferences - the Ford Powerstroke
diesels (International) are V8s.  Caterpillar and Cummins use inline-6.
An inline-6 is longer than a V8 - maybe that's why LEGO models don't use them -
the engines would be 14-studs long!!

BMW 6's are known for their silky smoothness.....

John