 Technic / 13843
Re: Legos' V6's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 19:53:17 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Nathan Bell wrote:
Maybe I'm crazy, but don't most trucks with a 6-cylinder engine have the
cylinders inline? Every Lego truck or crane has a V6.  Their designs have  been
like that for over 10 years.  Is this just because a "V" fits in well, or do
European trucks actually have V6's in their trucks? As far as I know, most
American Rigs have either a V8 or and inline engine. I thought inline engines
were better for torque and V's were better for RPM's.  I don't know very much
about engines though.

Nathan Bell

hello

Mercedes and older Iveco, uses V6,
Scania, Volvo, Daf, and MAN uses Inline 6, while the new R500/R580 and the
former 48/530/580 from Scania are V8, also the biggest Mercedes engines are
V8.
The biggest MAN/ÖAF are however a V10 18,3l.
Volvos biggest: 16 liter 550 or 610 former upto 520hp.

About torque:
With only small differences, there are max output of 2700 nm because there
are not any gearbox manufacturer avaible to handle bigger torque, and you
cant give out so much RPM on a diesel engine as gasolin because the diesel
"burn" slower, and higher rpm, the quiker it needs to burn.
Therefor a diesel has max around 4000 rpm, and a truck will stop for around
3000.

regards
www.modellbygg.com