 Technic / 13571
Re: Cable Operated Shovel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:05:11 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Benjamin Ventura wrote:
Hello,

My name is Ben, this is my first post here. I would like to introduce myself and
post some pics of a recent lego project.  Here is a link to pictures of a rope
mining shovel:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/generaldisarray2005/album?.dir=256b&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/generaldisarray2005/my_photos

(Click thumbnails for a larger view)

I built it this winter but did not complete it.  I ran short of the parts (and
funds) needed to build the undercarriage and tracks, so I have disassembled it
and am now working on a machine of the same type, but about 1/2 the size.  I
hope to post pictures and video asap.

The machine I linked to above used 4 new technic motors in the hoist winch to
move the digging bucket up and down.  There are 2 of the older round lego
techninc motors at the top of the red tower, those move the bucket back and
forth using a rack and pinion.  Those motors still work well, considering they
are almost 20 years old.

I do not have an RCX, I use a 12 volt motorcycle battery charger as a power
supply, which works and is very powerful when 2 or 4 motors are teamed up.
Control is via switches purchased at radio shack.  Other non-lego elements would
include 15 lbs of steel ballast underneath the red tower, inside the machine
room, and marbles that are used as bearings in the turntable.

The machine worked quite well, I regret that I do not have video of it in
action.  It can dig through a pile of legos with ease, and fills the bucket up
100%.

Let me know what you all think!  This is a great website, I have enjoyed very
much the creations all of you have come up with.  I hope to have video and pics
of the new shovel soon. .

Thanks,
Ben

Very nice model, can you take photos of the mechanical inner workings?
I'd be interested to see how it works.

How many pieces do you estimate are used in the model?

- David