 Technic / 1351
1350  |  1352
Subject:
Improvements I've Made
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 19:48:51 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

One of the things I like doing with Technic sets is improving the way they
function without radically changing their design. It's my way of
"customizing" the sets, and I like customization in general. (Perhaps it's
because I'm a graphic designer, about which is said, "they don't design,
they re-design," but I digress.)

Here are two of my improvements:

On set #8248, the Forklift: This model is a bit front-heavy. I mounted a
small assembly on the rear cross-beam (the axle piece above and
behind the rear wheels) which lets me steer the forklift from the rear. The
added weight, and the fact that I'm holding the back of the model during
play, helps keep heavier loads from tipping the vehicle. I also added a
control stick so the Technic figure has something to hold onto.

On set #8414, the Mountain Rambler: I removed the gear from behind the
front-left tread wheel. This allows for better steering, because now the left
and right treads move independently. True, the engine's pistons are now
driven only from the right side, but I haven't found this to be a problem.

I'm sure many of you have made much more radical improvements to
your Technic vehicles: I'd love to hear about them.

Ari
Still Happily Afflicted with Lego Mania