 Technic / 13454
Re: Technic and Mindstorms Collection Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 16:48:56 GMT

Scott Moroschan wrote:
Some Advice Please

I have a large collection of lego technic & mindstorm kits, including 2x
mindstorms kits (1x w/ serial port IR Tower & 1x w/ USB IR Tower), 1x Mindstorms
Remote Control, 1x 8880 black super car, 1x 8480 Space Shuttle, 1x yellow Back
Hoe Front Loader (last years model), 1x red emergency vehicle (last years
model), 1x 8459 Pneumatic Front Loader, plus additional pneumatic pumps and
cylinders, and a few other minor kits.

Unfortunately, I am cash strapped now, and I am considering selling the whole
lot. I would appreciate some advice. What do you think this sort of collection
is worth? Would you sell it as one large lot, or would you sell it in smaller
lots? I have all of the instruction booklets, and most of the original boxes
except for the smaller kits. Everything is all mixed up. So, should I take the
time to rebuild everything and photograph each model, before posting them on
ebay? I was thinking about a reserve of £350. Is this too lowor too high?

In my experience, imminent or present insolvency is the only reasonable
justification for selling something you wouldn't have otherwise wanted
to sell, and even then only if you can be fairly certain that whatever
you get for the things you sell will allow you to be able to meet those
financial obligations until your income situation improves.  If selling
something now would really just be a temporary solution, then consider
that you will have to resort to selling something else later... and if
you simply decide to alter your lifestyle to live more frugally at that
time, consider if there is anything preventing you from adopting such a
change sooner to avoid selling anything.  Again, this is a lesson I've
learned from my own experiences with financial hardship... and I've also
discovered that once the hard times pass, it is often prohibitively
expensive to reacquire replacements for the things that I sold.

However, the above is assuming that you don't want to actually part with
your LEGO... if you are genuinely interested in selling it, then I'd
imagine you can probably make more money in the long run by selling each
of the more expensive sets separately, and probably combining smaller
sets together to create miscellaneous bulk lots.