 Technic / 13177
Re: Telehandler
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 20:44:55 GMT

The steering works best if the entire vehicle is in motion (like a car without
power steering).  Since it is turning all 4 wheels, more torque must be exerted
to turn the steering ball than if 2 wheels were being turned.  Another issue is
the weight.  There is a lot of weight on the tires and when the boom is under
load, they are harder to steer- especially the front tires.  There needs to be
more gear reduction between the 3 bevel gears under the steering ball.  The
smallest lego gear has 8 teeth and works well with the 24-toothed crown gear.
That part of the design may be modified.
http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=951285

The reason that the wheels don't have much steering range (arc?) is that the
overall width of the vehicle must be around 20-22 studs wide to fit on the red
flatbed trailer. http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=837342. This leaves
little room for steering range- I think only 45 degrees overall for each wheel.
I'm trying to keep all 9 of my creations the same scale and therefore
interchangeable. http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=837339

The swing arms(steering pieces)from kit #8880 are bent, which makes alignment
next to impossible. The outside wheel on a turn has more range than the inside
wheel, and they should be parallel.  Even with the crab steering, the wheels are
not exactly parallel.  I used pieces from 8880 because the axles are about 2cm
in diameter and should hold more weight than traditional Lego axles.

Another issue is that since the boom is over the middle of the telehandler, the
steering knob had to be moved to the side, which involved using many gears.  As
a result, there is a lot of "play" between the gear teeth- maybe 15 degrees
overall.

Feel free to ask more questions!

Nathan