 Technic / 13097
Re: 9 Volt output
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 11:31:26 GMT

"Patrick Levy" <omiccron@uol.com.br> writes:

OK, But what does it really means? If the current is high, the motor will
run faster, or longer?

Stronger :-)

In this tree scenarios:
- RCX with one motor running at maximum power.
- 9 Volt Battery Box
(http://ldraw.org/library/official/images/7/2847c01.png) with one motor
- 9 Volt Battery Box (http://www.peeron.com/pics/inv/custpics/4760c01.jpg)
with one motor

Considering I always use "new" alkaline "Duracell" for all, and the same
motor in every case, (new geared technic motor:
http://ldraw.org/library/official/images/7/71427c01.png) I ask:

Which one of these will have better duration?

That depends on the capacity of the batteries, normally given in mAh.
AAs have more capacity than block batteries.

Which one of these will run faster?

The more voltage the faster the unloaded motor runs,
so then alkalines give you more speed than NiMHs.

If you load the motor then it will draw more current,
which will depress the voltage depending on the internal resistance
of the batteries (you can forget about the battery cases and cables)
and it will run slower.  So if the internal resistance of
the batteries is high, i.e. they can't provide much current,
then the motor will slow down a lot under load.
NiMHs ought to be better under load than standard alkalines,
but I have not tested it.
And then there are also high power alkalines.

Hope this helps

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <juergen@jstuber.net>
http://www.jstuber.net/

Looking for consulting and project work in Linux: kernel, USB, embedded systems