 Technic / 13093
Re: 9 Volt output
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 12:10:21 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Patrick Levy wrote:

Can anyone explain in detail the difference

   The difference is the amount of current provided - all can provide 9V, but
each has a different current limit. The amount of power delivered to an
electrical device depends on both the voltage and the current (in equations,
P=I*V). The battery boxes have no real "current limiter" (and so, in theory,
should provide the highest amount of delivered power... but see below), while
the RC unit (I think) has a current limiter (that doesn't limit it much), and
the RCX limits the current to 500 mA for each output.
   The two battery boxes have different performances due to internal resistance
- if you try to draw a high current from a battery, it acts as if it has an
internal resistor, which drops the supplied voltage. So under high-current
applications, batteries will always provide less than the rated voltage. No, I
don't know which battery box has the lower internal resistance (probably the 6
AA).
   A final caution is that all four of these have overtemperature protection
devices in them - if you try to draw too high a current for too long, then due
to that pesky internal resistance the system would heat up. To prevent this,
there's a component that when it heats up cuts off the current, thus preventing
the batteries or other components of the system from reaching dangeroud
temperatures.

--
Brian Davis