 Technic / 12982
Re: SSClagorpion - Compressor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 2004 03:10:25 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
  Mr. Pneumatics, Dr. C. S. Soh, has always been quite vocal about the
superiority of small pumps vs. large pumps.  He did static pressure comparisons
between a small pump and a large pump, each powered by a mini-motor.  His test
showed that the small pumps are superior.

Actually, as I have always emphasied, the large pump is better if operated
furiously by hand.

  I've not done any serious measurement yet, but it is very clear to me that Dr.
Soh *is* absolutely correct. When running the large pump using RC racer motors
turning an 8T driving a 40T, and the small pump compressor at the same gear
ratio, (and the same battery packs), the motors turn faster with the small pump
compressor.  I didn't use a tachometer to measure RPM, but the motors are quite
loud, and whine at a frequency related to how fast the motor turns.  The whining
with small pumps was higher pitch than the large pumps.

You should get one of the Speed Computer thing instead of relying on your ears
and maybe lose your hearing.

  One thing to note is that I finally have a compressor that can run the
inchworm faster than I can by pumping by hand.

Hey, what will you be doing with all your large pumps, then?

  So, Dr. Soh, you were right all along.  Feel free to say "I told you so!"

Well, I have always believed that the large pump was meant to be manually
operated and the small pump was designed to be motorised...

C S