 Technic / 12800
Re: Motorbike
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 07:06:10 GMT

   After a quick search on brickshelf I found that very few people actually use the pullback motors in their creations. Oden has a couple of nifty models, but that was all I could find. (Although I remember a land rover model being powered by one a while ago.)

They do seem to be shunned by afols for some reason. I think they add a lot of fun to a model. My son and I sometimes build quick cars with the little ones and have a hoot crashing them into each other, or putting skinny wheels on and watching them spin crazily around the room. Timber floors help - they’re hopeless on carpet. I’ve used the larger ones a couple of times in mocs.

Damn, I shouldn’t have forgotten that one. I especially liked how you managed to put suspension in there.

   They’re about right, but a little weak. I like them, but it doesn’t take much to exceed the weight limit that they’re able to push around at a reasonable speed.

You’ve got a point there. One can’t really make bigger vehicles for the engines than the size of the original model they’re in. (If that makes any sense) I do quite like the 8383 motor, I believe it’s the strongest one out there.

   Just about anybody I’ve spoken to about the pullback motors said something like “they should’ve done that ages ago!” or “I would’ve played ages with these if I would’ve had those when I was a kid!”

Really? What about this one?

    818 Pull-back motor
2 elements, 0 figures, US$12.25, 1990
LEGO > Accessories > General
This is actually a fair bit quicker across the floor than the current versions.

You’ve got me there, heh. I actually vaguely remember

    895 Wind-Up Motor
8 elements, 0 figures, US$9.50, 1985
LEGO > Accessories > General

which was owned by some relatives of mine. However, the new ones who let you include your own wheels / technic axles, and the ones that are for minifig-sized fun are just a bit more versatile in my opinion.

Cheers,

Allister

Peace & Whatever(1) :)

Peer