 Technic / 12797
Re: Motorbike
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 01:48:17 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Peer Kreuger wrote:
   I presume that many of you have seen the motorbike sets lego released last year. Due to my recent emergence out of my dark ages(1) I only bought some of them a month ago. Since the standard models bored me (not to mention the fact that some models were quite flimsy) I decided to build my own. • ... The model isn’t stunningly complicated, nor does it have any more extras other than the fact that it moves on it’s own, my goal was simply to build something sturdy, yet attractive to look at, whilst getting my feet wet with the new studless elements.

Nevertheless, it’s a nice adaption of the type. I particularly like how you did the windshield.

   Sadly, said 12 frames weren’t enough for a completely smooth animation (far from it) but the work for 12 alone was enough in my book.

It’s much more than I’d ever consider doing. We appreciate your effort. It’s a cool way to show the model - reminisent of some carmakers websites.

   Also, I’m propably overstating the obvious, but black isn’t an easy color to photograph. I spent a lot of time cleaning the pictures up. You live, you learn.

Tip: Use light, and lots of it.

   After a quick search on brickshelf I found that very few people actually use the pullback motors in their creations. Oden has a couple of nifty models, but that was all I could find. (Although I remember a land rover model being powered by one a while ago.)

They do seem to be shunned by afols for some reason. I think they add a lot of fun to a model. My son and I sometimes build quick cars with the little ones and have a hoot crashing them into each other, or putting skinny wheels on and watching them spin crazily around the room. Timber floors help - they’re hopeless on carpet. I’ve used the larger ones a couple of times in mocs.

I was wondering about that. Do you (you being the members of Lugnet) consider the motors unrealistic? Are they too hard or big to fit in a creation? Are they too big or too small for the scale you usually build in?

They’re about right, but a little weak. I like them, but it doesn’t take much to exceed the weight limit that they’re able to push around at a reasonable speed.

   Just about anybody I’ve spoken to about the pullback motors said something like “they should’ve done that ages ago!” or “I would’ve played ages with these if I would’ve had those when I was a kid!”

Really? What about this one?

    818 Pull-back motor
2 elements, 0 figures, US$12.25, 1990
LEGO > Accessories > General
This is actually a fair bit quicker across the floor than the current versions.

Cheers,

Allister