 Technic / 12686
Re: Are grey axles meant to have less friction?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 23 May 2004 16:44:18 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ronald Vallenduuk wrote:
I couldn't find an earlier post about this (though it might well be
there) so I'm starting a new thread.
I recently noticed that the grey axles (the odd-length ones in some
recent sets like 8451 and 8453) have less friction than the black
ones. It almost feels like a different material.
Is that me loosing my marbles or have other people noticed this as
well? I'm not quite impressed with this. I think the odd lengths often
come in quite usefull, but I also like my gears to stay on their
axle...

Duq

Black Lego pieces have carbon in them, which is why they don't bleach (see
colour debate elsewhere).  I wonder if this makes any difference to friction?

I don't think there's any difference when I cut up grey or black parts - they
all make a powdery mess!  I make axles of length 1, 1.5 and 2.5 studs and
shorten the grey connector pegs with axle, for steam engine rods.

I do find that not curving the ends of my cut axles gives more surface area
inside the wheel and therefore more friction to stop wheels coming off.  The
grey connector pegs with axle that I cut are the oldest ones with the most
friction - newer pegs with axle in grey, blue and tan all have less friction
than the old ones from the late '70s.

Mark