 Technic / 12683
Re: Are grey axles meant to have less friction?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 23 May 2004 13:56:15 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ronald Vallenduuk wrote:
I couldn't find an earlier post about this (though it might well be
there) so I'm starting a new thread.
I recently noticed that the grey axles (the odd-length ones in some
recent sets like 8451 and 8453) have less friction than the black
ones. It almost feels like a different material.
Is that me loosing my marbles or have other people noticed this as
well? <snip>

Duq- I've not noticed any less friction with the new grey axles. In fact, I've
performed a few quick, crude tests and not been able to tell any difference
(i.e. I pushed on and pulled off the same bushing on both black and grey axles).
Of course any slight differences may not be noticed with this crude method.

However, I have noticed that the grey axles are not as stiff as the black ones.
This is apparent when you compare the longer axles (e.g 8L, 10L, or 12L). Try to
bend them in your hands and they will feel more flexible than the black ones.

This might explain why gears do not stay on their axles as well. When you apply
a lot of torque, the axle may actually bend a little bit (i.e. "flex" off to the
side) and then the gear will slide off due to the axle being at an angle.

This happens with black ones too, but is more prevalent with the greys (old
grey, that is :-)

-TJ