 Technic / 12540
Re: SSClagorpion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 14:37:42 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
I know that I have at least 100 pistons, at at least twice that many switches.
I'll have to disassemble some projects to make them available.  I'll want to
document caterpillar, and complete PhD before I disassemble it.  After that no
problems.

Ok, I think we just need to proceed with the full-blown plan, and worry about
where the parts are coming from later.  (maybe it was just me that was thinking
about that)

I've just wrapped up a local event, and am ready to focus a great deal more on
this.

We have several parts/sections that need to be built, and tasks to complete.
Let me start the list, and tell me if I missed anything:

Body: holds 2 RCXs, 1 Spybot, 1 compressor, a bunch of switches, and has
mounting points for 8 legs, 2 arms, 1 tail, and a head (which may be built in).
What shape is the body?  Is it oval or rectangle?  I think Eric has chosen to
work on this piece.

8 legs.  All are the same with 3 degrees of movement, up/down, forward/back,
in/out (at the foot).  oops, 2 have touch sensors for floor detection.  Do these
need feet?  I guess that's up to Eric (snot)

2 arms.  The same but flipped.  Pneumatic claws & touch sensors.

tail.  Extend/curl.  move side-to-side?

control switches & switch motors - Kevin

snot - Eric

Spybot/RCX logic - Steve

Spybot swarm to follow this big daddy around - Steve

Is that it?

It looks like the legs and/or the body will determine the scale.

I'm going to mess around with some leg geometry.  Kevin, do you have anything
posted that shows distances for cylinders & switches?  (how to mount a cylinder
to flip a switch)

Steve