 Technic / 12408
  Re: SSClagorpion

(...) That's up to you. I'd like to see it move as fast as possible, but I think even if we make it as small as possible, it's going to weigh at least 10 pounds. 3 or 4 pounds will be the RCXs, battey box, Spybot, and motors. So, what will it take (...) (20 years ago, 15-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: SSClagorpion

(...) Hmmmm.... interesting question. I don't know much pneumatic theory, but..... Pressure is in pounds per square inch. So if we know the area of the face of a piston, and we know the pressure we can determine how many pounds a single piston can (...) (20 years ago, 15-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: SSClagorpion

(...) Mark Riley was nice enought to point out the errors in my math. The area of the piston care is pi * r^2 = 0.2 Four times that is 0.8. So the minimal pressure needed is 10 pounds / 0.8 square inches or, 12.5 pounds per square inch. Still well (...) (20 years ago, 15-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: SSClagorpion

(...) ... (...) With twice the pistons, the pressure is not as great, but the volume of air would be doubled, right? Using logic, not physics, I think once the pressure is built up (to 13 psi) the compressor may have to do less work to keep it (...) (20 years ago, 15-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: SSClagorpion

(...) <snip> (...) Well, I know of situations where LEGO has asked some people to recreate their MOCs for them. You know you have arrived if that happens. (...) Kevin (20 years ago, 15-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: SSClagorpion

(...) A few things spring to mind about this: 1. I usually run robots from a car tyre air compressor at 25PSI. This gives good performance with 1-2 large cylinders moving at a time. Using 6 large pump cylinders as the air source, performance is half (...) (20 years ago, 15-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: SSClagorpion

(...) That makes sense, but you may want to take a look at the video of Kevin's walkers: (URL) you see, at the end of each stride, all four legs are at the bottom of their travel. So while it is true that half the legs will have to support all the (...) (20 years ago, 16-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: SSClagorpion

(...) Funny! My presentation at Brickest (classic?) was named Pneumatic Magic. When I started on quad242 I thought the cool thing was going to be the ability to make it modify its behavior to go backwards and turn, but the hardest part was the "no (...) (20 years ago, 16-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: SSClagorpion

(...) I can see the good sense in putting the hip switches on their own sets of levers, as your pics show. That way, the force required for them and for the legs is independent, so there's no extra load on the switches. I am used to mounting the (...) (20 years ago, 16-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic)