 Technic / 12423
Re: SSClagorpion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 16:08:04 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Mark Bellis wrote:
A few things spring to mind about this:

3. The model is going to walk, so the force on each leg is potentially a dynamic
one, if it walks fast enough.  When you jump repeatedly, the force on your legs
is not equal to your weight, but significantly more - at least double,

That makes sense, but you may want to take a look at the video of Kevin's
walkers:

http://www.kclague.net/Quad242/q242-forward.mpg

As you see, at the end of each stride, all four legs are at the bottom of their
travel.  So while it is true that half the legs will have to support all the
weight, I don't think the force on the legs will ever be above the weight of the
walker.

It's pretty cool the way it walks.  I'm not exactly sure what it's doing, it
must be some kind of black magic...

Funny!  My presentation at Brickest (classic?) was named Pneumatic Magic.

When I started on quad242 I thought the cool thing was going to be the ability
to make it modify its behavior to go backwards and turn, but the hardest part
was the "no gravity well" concept you point out above Steve.

I suggest you make a trial compressor engine using a pair of 8475 RC buggy
motors geared down and four pump cylinders with springs removed, with cranks
offset at each 90 degree angle.  Offsetting the pumps by 90 degrees should make
the load on the motors smoother.  The engine will need to be very strong due to
the torque required.  I suggest two shafts geared together, supported by double
width beams throughout.  Use 40 tooth cogs to make the cranks as they're more
sturdy than other crank parts and will allow you to gear the two shafts together
easily.

Yes, Kevin was just talking about using beams for strength throughout the model,
instead of the lighter liftarms he often uses.

I'm hoping he has some experience with compressors.  If not, I'll have to throw
together something using the buggy motors.  Thanks for the idea.

I have some experience with compressors.

I've worked out a perfect geometry for large pumps so that they can be pumped by
a motor and use the entire piston head travel range.  This was one of those holy
grail kinds of things.

There has been a long standing debate about which are better small pumps vs.
large pumps.  C.S. Soh is set on small pumps, and he actively scorns those who
use them (well at least me anyway.)  I've seen good arguments for large pumps
also.

If we go with four pistons per leg (more volume with less pressure), I for sure
think that large pumps are the way to go.  It is hard to acheive high pressure
with LEGO pneumatics, but it is not nearly as hard to get the volume up.  I'm
still pondering the 2 vs. 4 scenario.

I've got a pretty strong 2 piston hip/leg assembly going.  The hip pivot is very
sturdy (one of the weak points on hex363, but the linkage from that to the leg
piston is pretty weak.

Here is are some pics.

http://www.kclague.net/SSCorpion/P4130047.JPG
http://www.kclague.net/SSCorpion/P4130048.JPG

http://www.kclague.net/SSCorpion/P4130045.JPG
http://www.kclague.net/SSCorpion/P4130046.JPG
http://www.kclague.net/SSCorpion/P4130049.JPG

The force of the sweep is effectively transfered through the hip joint, but the
force is then transferred to the leg through the leg piston and the leg
switches.  Don't think the 3x5 quarter oval and switch handles are strong enough
to transfer the sweep force.

Kevin

Steve