 Technic / 12370
Re: SSClagorpian
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 21:59:38 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Brian Davis wrote:
Kevin L. Clague wrote:
I figured we might as well do the designing process here on
LUGNET, rather than behind the scenes.  If people object,
we can take this conversation offline.

   Well, since nobody has objected, let me just say up front... PLEASE keep it
on-line. I agree with Steve, this is fun (and that's just as a spectator). With
regards to Steves question about "decoupling" the left and right sides, Kevin,
could you use an RCX as a higher level of control? Subsumption design, with one
layer being pneumatic, and a supervisory level (that could de-couple and
re-couple the pneumatic circuits on either side, for instance... have to sense
what state those circuits are in) that is electronic in the RCX / sensor net? I
would think mechanical switches either on critical legs, or, (perhaps better
from the standpoint of locating the sensor packages), pressure sensors on
critical hoses, could give the RCX feedback. Use the RCX IR/proximity detection,
and it's a cyclops SSCorpian with very simple vision (detect moving objects for
attack? hehehe...).

Hi Brian,

  I figured there would be plenty of lurkers and non-so lurkers on this topic.

  One of our goals is to have the scorpion turn in place.  Hex242 could do this,
and it will be easy to make SSClagorpion (Eric's choice for name) do this as
well, without the need for the RCX in between the two sides.

  Using two pneumatic polarity reversors, we can make SSClagorpion turn right.
WIth two more polarity reversors, we can make it turn left, or walk backwards.

  The RCX can control the polarity reversors to modify walking behavior.  I've
always thought of complex pneumatic sequencers as a way to work around the RCX's
limited I/O, and have always wanted to use the RCX for the higher brain
functions.

  I think that the first step (pardon the pun), which is to prototype out a
strong pneumatic leg with two or three (side walking) degrees of freedom.

  We may want to be able to articulate the hips to help SSClagorpion posture for
the attach.

Kevin