 Technic / 12277
Re: Pneumatic Cylinders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 2004 19:13:46 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Martin Bruun wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Maggie Cambron wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Mark Bellis wrote:
I've bought quite a few 8455 excavators now and in all of them the pneumatic
cylinders have restricted air flow due to partially blocked nozzles.  The amount
of restriction varies, as measured by extending and contracting the cylinders by
hand and feeling the amount of force required to move them quickly.

So far I've used a 1.4mm screwdriver to bore out the nozzles so that air can
flow faster.  You do this at your own risk!

I suppose the flow restriction helps the cylinders to move smoothly but I wanted
them to move faster, particularly for doing logic functions when moving other
switches, as it's better to move the switch all the way at once.

Also, in a power application, such as lifting an arm, more source pressure is
required to move a cylinder that has flow restrictions at the same rate as one
that doesn't.  It's a bit like friction within a motor.  The consequence is more
use of the hand pumps and then a need to release the excess pressure later.
This, in addition to the balloon effect of rubber tubes, makes the system quite
inefficient.

Are the nozzles supposed to be restricted or not?
Have you had the same problem?
Would you recommend boring out the nozzles as I have?

BTW where can I get a 100m reel of the thin tubing used for the flex system?  I
would cut this to length and use it for all the straight tubes in a model with
rubber ones only for the corners, reducing the balloon effect to a minimum and
increasing efficiency and speed by saving on the amount of air required to
operate pneumatic models.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Here is a post by Martin Bruun on the subject that may interest you:

http://www.bricklink.com/message.asp?ID=38293

I am recopying the text of the message here, as BrickLink only keeps posts for
six months and this information may be useful even though it was primarily
directed at sellers on BrickLink:

"Just a piece of advice to those sellers (like myself) who part out the 8455
Back-Hoe. Please take the time and test your pneumatic pumps and cylinders. I
have found a large percentage of those to be defective. The problem with the
black pumps (found on 2 out of 7 tested) is that the non-return valve does not
shut the pump completely closed when the piston is either being retracted or is
just in the top position. This causes the pressure to escape the pneumatic
circuit whenever you retract the piston. The problem can be tested by connecting
the pump via a single piece of hose to the bottom inlet of a pneumatic cylinder.
If you pump so the piston of the cylinder goes up and
then try with your finger to press it down again, then it should be very hard.
If you can press down the piston without much resistance, then the pump is
defective!

"The problem with the cylinders is simply that some of them move with a lot of
resistance (found of 4 out of 30 tested). It feels like one or both of the
inlets has too small airflow. They are not totally unuseable, but they are
definitely not working as supposed to. It is very easy to test, by simply
moving the piston in both directions with your fingers, you will immediately
feel the difference if you have a bad one.

"I suggest that sellers state in the description field if their pumps/cylinders
are tested.

Martin"

So you are not the only one who has noticed problems.

Maggie C.

Yes, a shame that there isn't an archive of old messages on BrickLink.

So here is a copy of a message I wrote after finding a solution to the problem
with the yellow cylinder. (so it's not lost in cyberspace!)

http://www.bricklink.com/message.asp?ID=41307

After my original post I decided to sacrifice one of the yellow cylinders in the
name of science.

I actually got it opened without two much damage. The resistance seems to be
caused by too much grease inside the cylinder below the piston. The grease
builds up around the bottom inlet and prevents the free airflow. By removing the
excess grease I managed to get the cylinder to work as good as any of the other
cylinders. I then took one of the other cylinders and without opening it, I
tried to make the passage free with a small piece of metal-wire. It actually
improved the function to a degree where it no longer has noticeable more
resistance than the ok ones.

The black pumps is probably another question, but I had those replaced by TLC.
The story about the odd number tested (7) is, that I had one defective in my own
copy of this set making the pneumatic functions of the 8455 very slow and almost
powerless. When I had identified the problem to be with one of the black pumps I
called customer service, which quickly sent a replacement. I asked if they
wanted the defective one returned, but no. However, the replacement pump
suffered from the same problem. The next time I called customer service they
were very interested in having the now two defective pumps returned, so they
could examine them. my second replacement pump was
ok and in my next two copies of the 8455 (parted out) there were no problems
with the pumps (only with the cylinders).

So the bottom line is, that if you have a yellow pneumatic cylinder with too
much resistance then try with a piece of metalwire in the bottom inlet to make
free passage. It might work.

Martin

Thanks for the info guys.  I have had one or two older pump cylinders that have
lost pressure.  Also, some older yellow cylinders (with square bases) are
difficult to retract from the fully extended position, due to leakage in that
position.  Consequently I decided to tweak the model design to not fully extend
them, especially when they are working as a push-pull pair.  I have also retired
a few old switches due to leakage.

I tested the 8455 pump cylinders as follows:
1. press them with a finger over the nozzle, ensuring lots of resistance.
2. press them fast with a clear nozzle, ensuring no resistance.
3. release them from pressed position with a finger over the nozzle, ensuring no
effect on extension by the spring.

I test the 8455 yellow cylinders like this:
1. move them with a finger over the outlet nozzle, ensuring lots of resistance.
2. move them with a finger over the inlet nozzle, ensuring resistance, then
release and see how far the cylinder returns under vacuum.
3. repeat 1+2 for the other direction.
4. move them fast with both nozzles clear, ensuring no resistance.  This is
where most of my 8455 cylinders have failed the test.

I have found that to get maximum performance out of the cylinders, both nozzles
of every cylinder need to be bored out with a tiny screwdriver.  None of the
cylinders I have had in 8455s have had completely unblocked nozzles.  Having
bored them out, performance is much enhanced in all cases and I can move them
fast in both directions, with no springback.  Springback is due to a build-up of
vacuum, due to not enough air being able to get into the bottom nozzle when the
cylinder is extended fast, such that there is less air in the cylinder than the
volume swept, and unless you hold it extended, the cylinder will retract part
way as in test 2.

I checked out your info about the grease with my transparent cylinders from
ultimate builder sets.  Yes, there is a build-up of grease below the piston.
When this is spread about by rotating the plunger as you extract and insert it,
the grease can be spread better.  I think grease is responsible for the sticking
of cylinders after not being used for a while.  However I don't think it's the
cause of the more permanent problem of slow airflow.  You're right that a piece
of wire to remove grease from the bottom outlet will improve perfomance, but if
I look into the nozzles of 8455 cylinders I can see that the bore is restricted
by yellow plastic.

I think the improvement in performance given by boring out the nozzles proves
that that was the problem, rather than grease alone.  Do any of your cylinders
have an apparently smaller bore within the nozzles?

Tell you what, boring out the nozzles on 100 cylinders gets boring!  I usually
do a few when watching TV.  Notice that the T-junctions have the same bore right
through, so cylinder nozzles should have the same.

With the problems I've had with the more complex Lego parts, I am resigned to
testing each one straight out of the box.  At least I've not had to send
pneumatic parts back, unlike the motors (6!), but that's another story.

Mark