 Technic / 12066
Re: BSCP "Bississippi"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:37:29 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:

Very cool Miguel! For clarification, the one on the bottom is the new one, or are there two new implementations there?

Thank you, Kevin!

The pictures are of the same model. I’m not sure if implementation is a BIG WORD for what is really only a difference in the tracks & wheels/gears that drive it. The Ldraw rendering uses Technic tread links mounted on 40T gears. The photograph shows the same model mounting pre-technic gears and chain.

While building the SCCT, I (like many before me) realized that the technic tread links are not ideal for large models because they tend to pop open due to the larger forces at play. So I started collecting (fairly rare) old chain links which have a deserved fame of sturdiness just in case I wanted to build another tracked model in the future,

Ironically, the modern tread links actually work better on BSCP - except when it comes to ground clearance. The larger and older chain links are tougher and taller due to the size of each individual link. But the larger size also prevents the builder from fine-tweaking the length of the chain. Clearly, smaller links offer more “granularity”.

Come to think of it, there is also another difference between the two models. Since the reulting “old” chain is tighter, the lifting arms needs to overcome more friction. This is why the old-chain model uses a double clutching/braking mechanism (i.e. two rubber bands), as seen in this picture