 Technic / 12065
Re: automatic transmission
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 09:08:47 GMT

phoenix@online.no (Øyvind Steinnes) wrote in <HsIMzr.19KB@lugnet.com>:

But today I was reading the local newspaper and read about a new type of
Automatic (or semiautomatic) transmission for cars. Its called DSG.
Anybody heard about it? It is been used in Audi TT and Volkswagen Golf,
VW Tuareg or some other models of the Audi/VW company. It is not really
a utomatic transmission but works as one. There are two clutches
involved, the first clutch handles gear 1, 3 and 5 and the second takes
gear 2, 4 and 6. When you start in the first gear, and acellerate the
computer will automaticly put in the next gear and transfer with the
clutch when needed. This allows about 0.02sek between each gear.

This page:
<http://news.kak.net/modules.php?file=article&name=news&op=modload&sid=488>
contains two drawings of the DSG box.

Mechanically, it should be possible to build it: make two three-speed boxes
(driven by the engine at different speeds), and use clutch gears to connect
the outputs from the boxes.
Controlling it automatically will be more difficult: deciding which gear to
preselect depends on things like accelleration. I don't know if you can
measure accelleration with an RCX, and even if you can, the model will be
driving at a constant speed for most of the time (so there's no useful
data).
Maybe a simpler algorithm will work better:
- as long as the engine is on, keep preselecting higher gears
- when the engine is off, preselect a lower gear (or put the box into first
gear right away).
--
Harro de Jong