 Technic / 12061
Re: automatic transmission
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 16:31:33 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Øyvind Steinnes wrote:
I was out of ideas for what to do next, my "snow plow" or "snowblower" or
whatever you like to call it, is finished and working, only need a truck or
anything behind it to look cool. MLCad file will be avaiable soon...

But today I was reading the local newspaper and read about a new type of
Automatic (or semiautomatic) transmission for cars. Its called DSG. Anybody
heard about it? It is been used in Audi TT and Volkswagen Golf, VW Tuareg or
some other models of the Audi/VW company. It is not really a utomatic
transmission but works as one. There are two clutches involved, the first
clutch handles gear 1, 3 and 5 and the second takes gear 2, 4 and 6. When
you start in the first gear, and acellerate the computer will automaticly
put in the next gear and transfer with the clutch when needed. This allows
about 0.02sek between each gear.

Is this at all possible to make in LEGO today? With no non-LEGO parts
invoved (except rubberbands...)

Regards
Øyvind Steinnes
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Phoenix

Hey,

I have never heard of this before... but I suppose you could do it with and RCX
and two motors.  think about it... if you had 2 inputs(the motors) into the
transmission and 1 output with the RCX controlling which motor is in use and at
what time, I suppose it is possible with all Lego parts, I think?

Good luck,

Erik