 Technic / 12048
Re: New crane MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 01:36:17 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Bob Kojima wrote:
   my moc is a very large crane.

Uh, that’s close, but still a little understated :-)

   it is not bases on any specific crane model. it is over 12 feet tall. the lower boom section is 15 1x16 technic bricks in length. the upper boom section is 10 1x16 technic bricks in length. there are 10 9v motors. 2 for the hail fire droid turntable, and 2 on each of the 4 winches. i used pennies for the counter weight. they are located in a box under the winches.

That’s a great crane, Bob! Very nice boom construction. I love to see trusses
built like that with proper, stiff cross-bracing.

The joining of four booms isn’t an easy thing, but your construction looks
pretty good:

Nice turntable too. I was wondering when we were going to see the Hailfire
droid wheels made into a crane. It looks a little big, but then the size just
goes along with the 12’ boom!

   sorry there are not any pictures of the whole crane. it is just so large and i can not stand it up all the way cause it is too tall for the ceilings in my house. the first time it will be fully up right will be at Brickfest PDX. will it stay standing or will it fall? i don’t know. it would be kind of cool to see it fall!

Well, we shall get some good photos of the beast at PDX. It will look really
awesome in the expo room towering over all the other MOCs.

“Hey, there’s other MOCs here?”

“Yes, just look a little lower” ;-)

Do you have plans to develop the base any further? This could work as a fixed
position ringer crane, but then the Hailfire droid wheels are a little small.
You could make some massive crawlers for it, or perhaps an 8 or 9 axle
carrier :-)

   i don’t know how many hours i have been planning, building, and ordering parts, but i have been working on it for over 5 months. yesterday was the first time i had a chance to string it all up and see it all put together.

I’m glad I’ll get to see this in PDX. Can’t wait to see it up close and watch
it operate!

-TJ