 Technic / 11352
Re: New (at least to me) optimal geometry for pneumatically flipped switches
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 06:45:43 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:

  Anyone else got some good geometries out there?

I used the geometry from the alternative model of 8868 crane truck for a long
time (this was a bin lorry).  However, I found that raising the bottom end of
the piston up off the beam that the valve is attached to is a good idea as it
helps to stop the joint coming off the valve lever.

I have mounted the old style valves 1/2 stud below the beam using 2-hole 2-beams
with the top hole attached to the main beam.

The advantages of the new valves are:
- The offset of the lever pivot centre from the valve mounting holes is the
  same at both ends.
- The mounting arrangements allow valves back to back, as used on 8455, so the
  possible density of valves in logic systems increases, meaning that logic
  systems can fit into smaller spaces on models. I'm sometimes moving 8 or
  more valves with one set of cylinders (usually 1 cylinder for every 2
  valves).

Mark