 Technic / 11183
Re: Worm Gear Box from 4094
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 13:48:17 GMT

SteP wrote:

The 24 tooth gear in the worm gear box has an over-torque
relief mechanism in it

This partially balances the fact that this worm gear box is something more
space-wasting than other assemblies, as well as the 90°degrees (I really
don't know how to call it) gearbox that is supplied with this set.

When I first saw these new gearboxes, I wondered why they reinvented the
wheel.  You can accomplish the same thing with existing parts.  Then it
hit me; You can't pinch fingers in these gears.  When gearing down with
a worm/screw to 24 tooth gear, you get quite a bit of force.  Enough to
do some damage if you get a finger stuck between a couple gears.

However, I think I like the direction they are moving with these sets.
The Inventor sets are a good transition into the more advanced Technic
sets.  The higher end sets still contain the normal gears, axles, etc...

... And the new motor is cool.  Nice and flat across the bottom!

// Joe