 Technic / 10788
Re: The latest rage in pneumatic computing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 05:11:29 GMT

Wow.  Thank you so much for the acknowledgement, Kevin.  I am genuinely
flattered.

I've got a bitmap made of the schematic for my 13 switch full adder.
It's strictly representative, and not meant to imply how the switches
would be positioned in the final mechanism.  Hopefully it's
comprehensible to other people.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/markt1964/fulladder.jpg

I've color-coded the various portions of the tubing because the
"spaghetti wiring" I've drawn here would probably be completely
unreadable otherwise.

The idea is that each group of switches that is grouped together on a
single box would be ganged together onto a single piston, requiring a
total of three pistons.   The switches would be hooked up to the pistons
such that when air is applied to the piston attached to it, the switch
would slide "upwards" as it appears in the diagram.  A mechanism to do
this is simple to build -- Kevin's implementation of my one-piston AND
gate would be a viable starting point for each switch set.  Anyways,
each set of switches could be ganged onto a piston and positioned
anywhere that is convenient for the model, all that's really required to
connect between them is pneumatic tubing.

BTW, I'm really thinking that this sort of mechanism (one or more
switches ganged onto a piston which simultaneously flips all the
switches one way or the other) probably qualifies as a LEGO design
pattern (to borrow some terminology from software design), but I don't
know if anyone's ever given the design pattern an actual name.  Any ideas?