 Technic / 10785
10784  |  10786
Subject:
The latest rage in pneumatic computing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 21:30:23 GMT

I created Mark Tarrabain's single pressure/single piston AND gate and have it
all four possible input states.  In this case I use rubber bands to compress the
pistons, but this is not the only way to compress the pistons.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/Computing/mt-and-kmap.jpg

Here is a picture of my additions to Mark's gate to make single piston/dual
pressure (works well with dual acting LEGO pneumatic pistons) AND gate.  By
adding the two switches, I can create the pressure to close the pistons (without
using rubber bands).

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/Computing/klc-and-kmap.jpg

Here is my single piston/dual pressure OR gate.  Same mechanics as the AND gate,
but with different connections.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/Computing/klc-or-kmap.jpg

Here is my single piston/dual pressure XOR gate.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/Computing/klc-xor-kmap.jpg

The AND and XOR can be driven by the same piston, so a full binary adder can be
created with three pistons, and 17 switches.

Unfortunatly for me Mark can perform the same addition with 3 pistons and 13
switches plus rubber bands, or 3 pistons and 14 switches (one extra one to
pressure the gates closed.)

PLUKWYT

Kevin