 Technic / 10786
Re: The latest rage in pneumatic computing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 22:17:16 GMT

"Kevin L. Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I created Mark Tarrabain's single pressure/single piston AND gate and have • it
all four possible input states.  In this case I use rubber bands to • compress the
pistons, but this is not the only way to compress the pistons.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/Computing/mt-and-kmap.jpg

Here is a picture of my additions to Mark's gate to make single • piston/dual
pressure (works well with dual acting LEGO pneumatic pistons) AND gate. • By
adding the two switches, I can create the pressure to close the pistons • (without
using rubber bands).

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/Computing/klc-and-kmap.jpg

Here is my single piston/dual pressure OR gate.  Same mechanics as the AND • gate,
but with different connections.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/Computing/klc-or-kmap.jpg

Here is my single piston/dual pressure XOR gate.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/Computing/klc-xor-kmap.jpg

The AND and XOR can be driven by the same piston, so a full binary adder • can be
created with three pistons, and 17 switches.

Unfortunatly for me Mark can perform the same addition with 3 pistons and • 13
switches plus rubber bands, or 3 pistons and 14 switches (one extra one to
pressure the gates closed.)

PLUKWYT

Kevin

Good work, Kevin!  I have not worked with AND OR & XOR logic for many years.
The old discrete component Bendix DynaPath Numerical controls used AND & OR
through out their systems. I think your pneumatic recreation is really
interesting.  I am having trouble visualizing the full adder. I will have to
think about that a bit.  Thanks for sharing your efforts.

--
Bob Fay

http://www.ozbricks.com/bobfay/