 Technic / 10477
Re: pneumatics along an telescopic boom....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2003 16:15:32 GMT

Okay... forgive me if this idea wouldn't work... I don't actually have
the pneumatics to try it out, but what about making a spool at the base
of the boom that lets the hose out as the boom stretches and spools it
as the boom comes back?   In particular what I'm thinking of is that you
actually use at least twice the length of tubing that would normally be
required, and use two (or more) tire hubs as spools, with a grey pulley
wheel between them (the tube passes through one of the holes around the
pulley to catch the tubing and hold it in place on the two spools on
either side).  As the boom extends, the tubing is unwound from the left
side of the spool (for example), and wound up on the right from a larger
area at the base where you may have more room for the hoses to fold.
When the boom is retracted, the spool gathers the tubing up along the
boom, and unravels the tubing on the other side of the pulley back into
the base of the construct.

As I said, I don't have the peumatic components to try this out, so I'm
not entirely sure it would work... but it might be worth a shot.  I
expect it would require a (possibly quite complex) gear train to get the
spools to spin at the correct speed, but in theory, I think what I've
said here might actually work.  Has anyone ever tried anything like this?

Mark