 Technic / 10472
Re: pneumatics along an telescopic boom....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2003 11:09:48 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Gerard Steenbeek writes:
Most people who have built telescopic booms use them for cranes... I am not
building a crane. However I am using a telescopic boom, and I need movement
at the end of the boom. Unfortunately i do not have a micromotor. I do have
pneumatics, so i need to find a way to extend a boom by about 30 studs and
have pneumatic hoses go inside it. But to keep it to scale the boom is 4
studs wide and the boom that comes out is 2 studs wide. One row of studs is
used for the track, leaving me with one row of studs. So by attaching 2 flex
hoses together i can get tubes along the boom but i can`t find a way to
orderly deal with the airhoses needed whn the boom is extended.right now it
just comes out the back and looks stupid with 35cm of tubes hanging there.
Any ideas what might work? I could run air tubes on the outside of the
boombut then i have lose hoses around the extending boom and no way to deal
with those. In real machinery they just fold inside, but i don`t have room
for that... any ideas?

One I saw had the hose arranged in a flat "S" arrangement - with the hose
going around a wheel that moved at half the rate of the extending boom.
Dunno if you could do something like that with LEGO though.

ROSCO