 Technic / 10466
Re: 1x14 yellow technic beams
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 24 May 2003 22:18:00 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Richard Morton writes:
Bill is quite correct in that this set does contain 2, 1 x 14 yellow technic
beams. I recently bought all the inventor sets (except the record and play)
and I have the beams right infront of me

     The R&P isn't due out until September, so it'll be a while for those
who are looking for green Technic bricks.  Anyways, I unfortunately was in a
bit of a time crunch when I hit this part of the Toy Fair showroom, and I
didn't make a point of doing nice closeup shots (which I now regret).  I
can't make out anything useful in my Inventor photos, and only the monkey
and goldfish have shown up on S@H.

You are correct in that these pieces are not used on the main monkey model,
but as these are similar sets to the new designer sets, you get a whole
ideas book inside each box with many different models to build.

     My understanding with the basic Designer sets was that they built a
bunch of little models, compiled the required parts list, and then built
something really huge with it.  I kind of assumed that the box-front model
(in this case the monkey) would use most of the available pieces.

I'm not a technic expert (I bought these sets for some other new parts) but
there does appear to be some pretty hard to find and new pieces in these
sets.

     The ones I care about the most are the trans-black Bohrok eyes and the
black Gali hook.

Bill mentioned the yellow wings, there's also a new 9v motor (at least
I think it's new), and 2 other self contained technic gearbox type pieces
(sorry I don't know the technical name for this stuff) where you connect 2
axles into the part and the transmission is flipped 90 degrees. One of these
uses a worm screw type arrangement (once again I'm not an expert with
technic, so please don't laugh at my descriptions!!).

     That one wouldn't happen to be this piece, would it:

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/6588

Hope it helps - like the designer sets, these are pretty nice new sets.

     I expect the first three will be really popular with kids (the fourth
one is a tad on the expensive side, and will probably get passed over on a
lot of wish lists), and from the sounds of it, the parts will be really
popular with hard-core Technic-heads.  The thing I care about most is that
these should be four more reasons for old-school AFOLs to stop being so
vocal about their dislike of some of the more recent themes, like Bionicle.