 Technic / 10405
Re: Some MOCs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 18 May 2003 16:47:32 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Eric Shrader writes:
I recently put together a web site to highlight some of my more interesting
creations, including mechanical adding machines and a pneumatic engine.

http://www.ericshrader.com/lego

     My biggest curiosity is how the decimal adding machine handles adding
two numbers that combine to be greater than 10?  I assume that if you add
4+6 it lands on the 0, since with only 1-9 to select from, there's no way to
actually get a null value.  Personally, I'd like to see the clock dial
converted to a rotating cylinder so only one number gets displayed at any time.

     Anyways, this reminds me of an idea I once had for a purely mechanical
video output display, using a giganormous field of little flip-panels.  The
panels could be easily set up to do a two-color display, with flat plates,
or a three-color display, with triangular cylinders, but doing an
RGB-equivalent setup would require four panels (cyan, amber, magenta, and
white), so perhaps it would have to be set up like early generation color TV
screens, with vertical color banding (and possibly done with a triangular
cylinder showing white, black, and either cyan, amber, or magenta).  Of
course, the biggest problem with this is that it would likely cost over a
million dollars to construct just one, and with that large of a mechanical
system it would probably be horribly prone to breakdowns.  Still, it's an
amusing thought...