 Technic / 10173
10172  |  10174
Subject:
Needed ideas for a telescoping boom.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 00:36:16 GMT

I`m working on something that needs a telescoping boom. Actually the success
of this boom will determine the success of the whole thing so I need to
build it first.

The boom has to be about 48 studs long, and then extend as much as possible
beyond that. It also has to work on a motor.

I built the boom on the 8460
http://library.brickshelf.com/scans/8000/8460/index.html
And extended it, it works, I can make some small improvements such as
guiding gears along the boom to keep it in place and not tilt and catch.
Also I`m going to have to lift the whole thing up, I was looking at the
double cylinder the 8460 has and I`ll try it, maybe i`ll go with 4 cylinders
for strength.

I was wondering what you guys have used for larger working telescopic booms.
Maybe I can improve on what you did or modify it to fit my "thing"

Gerard