 Technic / 10022
10021  |  10023
Subject:
Good String for Your Models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 14:25:18 GMT

I have a recommendation for those of you who need good string/cable to use
in your models: SpiderWire (http://www.fishspiderwire.com/NonFlash/Index.cfm)

It's used for fishing, and is specially designed for maximum strength with
minimum diameter. It is braided (as opposed to traditional solid-core
fishing line) and has teflon impregnated fibers.

Some advantages:
• very small diameter (so you can put a long length on a small spool)
• high strength (approx. 6x normal steel)
• stiff, but not too stiff (can be easily threaded through holes and such)
• slick (passes around pulleys easily)
• very little stretch when pulled (almost no stretch for reasonable use)
• resistant to environment (probably- it's designed to be used for fishing)
• abrasion resistant

Some disadvantages:
• expensive (10 USD for 150 yds)
• only comes in green and yellow
• braided (it can fray at the ends, must be careful when cutting)

* A note about the color: I got the "moss green" color, and from a distance,
it looks black or dark gray, especially against a light background.

Specifically, I bought a 150 yard (137 m) roll of 50-lb (22.7 kg) line. It
is braided and is the "Stealth" version:
http://www.fishspiderwire.com/NonFlash/Products/LineDetail.cfm?ID=2

-TJ