 Storage / 895
Re: Need alternative storage recommendations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 20:24:16 GMT

In article <GC45vp.4IG@lugnet.com>,
Chris Phillips <chris.phillips@computerboards.com> wrote:
I have my LEGO collection sorted into Akro Mils storage drawer units.  My
favorite is a 23-drawer unit which is available for under $11 apiece at
Wal-Mart.  These drawer units are well-suited to LEGO dimensions; the

I dunno if they're still around, but a Wal-Mart near me was clearning a
"gift set" out that included this, the 60 drawer unit, and six "akro-bins"
for $8ish. Not a bad deal.

There are other manufacturers of drawer units as well, and you may have luck
with those.  Just make sure you'll be able to live with a whole wall of them
before you buy a single bin from any supplier.  Like all things plastic,
these things seem to breed in captivity!

I've got a mixed set of Akro-Mils and Plano. The Akro-Mils recess into each
other nicely, the Plano have little tabs you can use to hold things together
from side to side as well as up and down but don't hold together as well up
and down.

One other consideration for you is portability.  If you can build where you
store, then drawer units are the way to go.  I can immediately put my hand

This works well if you have a fairly deep building area-- mine line the far
side of the workbench that I wouldn't have been able to use anyhow.

on virtually any part that I have in any color that I want without even

...but I do have to stand up to get into the back corner. :)

hard to pout your hand on the right bin when you need it.  With drawer
units, everything stays put, and you always know where to find each drawer.)

Depends on how many drawer units you have. I'm still looking for a good system
to organize those. I've now got... uh... well over 300 drawers. Many things I
know exactly where they are, other things I haven't figured out how to arrange
yet. :) At present, I'm not using all the drawers (Like, for example, I've got
1x2 - 1x10 plates in a 60-drawer bin arranged by color. I have gaps where
I don't have that many colors of a particular plate) and I haven't merged in
the 166 drawers I bought on clearance yet to put stuff that's not yet sorted
in/to split out stuff sorted into the same bin. And none of my minifigure
stuff is sorted past "It's a minifig tool, it goes in this tub,"

then buy more bins as you need them.  This spreads the cost of the project
out, and makes sure that you don't buy more bins than you really need.  For

This may have been the problem. I got cheap drawers. But I've still got
sorting to do, so I may find I still need more.

a collection the volume of yours, you could easily fill a couple hundred
bucks worth of bins.  It may sound like a lot, until you think about how
many thousands of dollars worth of LEGO you are sorting and protecting in
those same bins.

-JDF
--
J.D. Forinash                                     ,-.
foxtrot@cc.gatech.edu                            ( <