 Storage / 848
847  |  849
Subject:
New sorting system
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 23:58:35 GMT

I re-sorted my Lego last weekend and I'm pretty happy with it.

I have finally exited the By-Color phase of my sorting system and
graduated to the By-Shape phase.  I don't have enough Lego (or
patience when sorting) to go to By-Shape-and-Color but maybe some day
I will.

What I did was get three of the 7-drawer, about 5-foot-high IRIS
cabinets from Costco ($25 each), and assign the following categories.

Cabinet 1 (top to bottom)
- odd-shaped plates & bricks, including cockpits, POOPs, etc.
- 1x1 & *x10 simple plates & bricks
- *x8 & *x16 & 4x4 simple plates & bricks
- *x6 & *x12 simple plates & bricks
- 1x4 & 2x4 simple plates & bricks
- 1x3 & 2x3 simple plates & bricks
- 1x2 & 2x2 simple plates & bricks

Cabinet 2 (top to bottom)
- Slopes
- Inverse slopes
- Cylinders, macaroni, etc.
- Transparent pieces of all sizes & shapes
- Minifigs and their accessories
- Wheels and 4x5v electrical
- Technic parts of all sizes & types; 9v electrical

Cabinet 3 (top to bottom)
- Tiles & grill-tiles
- Bricks and plates with printing on them
- Hinges, swivels, and hitches
- "Brackets"
- Wings and other plates with diagonal edges
- Baseplates; 1960's style gears
- Instruction books and catalogs

Notes:
1. When I say e.g. *x6 and *x12, I mean all simple plates & bricks
   where the short side is 6 or 12 studs long.  Thus all the 1x, 2x,
   4x, and 6x plates and bricks are lumped together.
2. The "brackets" category is kind of fuzzy - it includes anything
   that has studs or stud-holes in more than one dimension, such as
   the "1x1 with headlamp" or the 2x2 plate with a 2x2 tile at a right
   angle (think rocket engine mount) or the 1x1 and 1x2 plates and
   bricks with various kinds of things sticking off one side.  The
   distinction between this category and my "odd-shaped" category is
   somewhat blurred; most SPUDs fit into one or the other.

I've started work on a new model using this system, and it's really
helped me acceelerate the building process.  I still have some raking
through assorted pieces to find what I need, but it's a lot quicker.
And since the various colors are mixed together, it is usually easy to
spot.

Before, when I had bins of each color regardless of size or type,
little pieces would get lost so deeply in the pile that I would take
forever to find them.  Also, my models tended to be use very few
colors, because each color used meant dumping out its bin and raking
through the resulting pile.

I've also for the first time started using a table and chair for my
construction.  Previously I've always laid out a sheet or towel on the
floor and dumped out the bricks there.  Sitting in a chair and
accessing the drawers is a lot easier on my back and knees!

--Bill.

--
William R Ward        hermit@bayview.com      http://www.bayview.com/~hermit/
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."-Groucho Marx