 Storage / 404
Re: Plano Orginization
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 15:49:53 GMT

James Di Toro wrote:

On suggestion from this group I went out an purchaced a couple of Plano
3700s and had a few questions on how people sort thier pieces into them.

I'm a color then brick type sorter and I was wondering, do you have
multiple boxes of a color.  If so how do you seperate from one box to the
next.  Do you sort out specific sizes in one box or do you try to keep all
diffrent sizes in a box and overfill into the next box.

When your collection gets big enough, you will find these boxes totally
inadequate for basic brick sorting. My bricks are in quart and gallon
sized Zip Loc Slide-Loc bags (actually, I've been switching to Hefty's
bags, their slider is better). I have a few brick types which might be
able to fill a gallon bag, but the tubs that I store the bags in don't
have room, so I have a crate of overflow bags, and have now started two
buckets for overflow 1xYs and overflow 2xYs (unsorted by anything other
than 1x or 2x). The tubs generally contain two sizes of brick (I
orgininally started with tubs holding two colors, but found it was very
difficult to find the right bag, though right now my storage is
optimized for sorting, when I switch over to primarily building I may
change back - right now, I'd almost be temped to separate out the white,
since another thing I am dealing with is separating a huge collection
into component sets (I will probably sell some of the sets, and I know
there are some unknown sets in there, so I need to separate everything).
Parts of the collection were on display near a window, so there is a
large quantity of yellowed bricks, which I am replacing with brand new
bricks as much as possible.

I also have a whole tub of bricks 8x8 and larger (I've picked up several
lots of Belville parts off eBay, and have a huge quantity of those
24x24, w/quarter circle cut out, bricks).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com