 Storage / 1474
Re: A Monumental Task
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:47:38 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Steven D. Weiser wrote:
   In preperation for my move from theeth chattering, bone chilling, people don’t know how to drive in the winter, Detroit, to the more mild weather, laid back, quiet lifestyle in the mountains of Franklin, North Carolina, I have the monumental task of packing and safely storing for the trip down, close to 300,000 pieces of Lego and hundreds of instruction booklets.

I don’t envy your task Steve. This summer, when my wife and I bought our first house, I had to move a similarly sized collection. I was fortunate in that we only moved 15 minutes away.

   So, I am storing everything in plastic ziploc bags and then placing those in the same drawers the parts were in, and using masking tape to secure the drawers closed. The instructions are going into a couple of 55 quart containers, also sealed in ziploc bags.

Since the majority of my collection is in 3033 sized tubs or in shoebox sized plastic tubs those were pretty easy to move. With the short drive, I wasn’t worried about those opening up, but with a longer track, maybe some tape could help. For my drawers of parts, I too took all the parts out and put them in resealable plastic bags. However, returning the parts to the bins was a long and boring task. I know others have suggested wrapping the drawer case in plastic to keep the drawers in place, but if that case is tipped, those parts are going everywhere. Resorting would take longer than putting parts back in their bins.

   The thing I really have to look forward to, is I will have an 18x20 weatherproof hobby shop to set all of this back up in upon my arrival in early April. Size of the shop is estimated since I have not actually measured it myself. But either way, it is still a lot more room than this 10x12 bedroom most of it is in right now.

Sweet. I’m jealous. My new lego room is only 8x17 and it’s not enough space for the parts themselves, my build table AND display space. I need to add some more shelving and install some better display tables, maybe that will alleviate my space issues.

Jason Spears | BrickCentral | MichLUG | CLB