 Storage / 1298
Re: Sorting tray suggestion.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sun, 4 May 2003 05:25:42 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Frank Filz writes:
Tobbe Arnesson wrote:

<>
I got another idea when I was doing some serious cleaning in the kitchen. In
our drawers we have trays to keep the forks separated from the knives... • <>
I have yet to find the ideal sorting tray. So far, the old plastic
inserts work the best for me. The 24 compartment trays from the
Christmas calendar sets are also highly useful.
Yes, I too have yet to find the ideal arrangement.  I have been using the
3-drawer Sterlite and variable clear plastic boxes.

Another useful thing I have for sorting is a shallow serving tray. It
easily sits on my lap and will hold a couple hundred parts pretty
easily. With it's rounded edges it is easy to scoop parts out of it. It
is also useful for building small sets (I build the new mini-Star Wars
sets using this tray).
Sounds like a good idea.  Thanks.

I'm not sure how often people have talked about actual sorting
strategies, so I thought I'd share some key points:

- I do a 2 stage sort
- In the first stage, various types of parts are sorted by general
category.
- In the second stage sort, these types of parts are sorted into final
categories.
- Several of the 24 bin trays have nearly permanent part assignments for
final sort in the 1st stage. One holds small specialty plates and tiles
with each of the common types having their own compartment. • [snip]
Another holds many of the common small brick types. • [snip]
This second tray has some variable bins. The permanent bin assignments allow >for very quick blind sorting of those parts. One tray is for slopes, which >are close to final sorted for up to 24 types, other slopes go into a big bin >for a 2nd stage sort).
Permanent bins sounds like a great idea for the blind sorting you mentioned.
I always used to remove specialty parts but jumbled them together onto one tray.
- Some of the large quantity parts [...] Sterlite 3 drawer units • [snip]
- There is also some final sorting at the first stage for very common
parts (and depending on the set, temporary final stage sorts may be
assigned, for example, when I was sorting 18 Hagrid's Huts, the 2x2/1x4
hinge bricks were final sorted, normally they go in a big bin of
hinges).
DANG! 18 Hagrid Huts at once!!  I only have two (and those aren't even
sorted yet!).

- I use three methods of pulling parts from the serving tray:
1. [snip]
2. [snip]
    The idea is to minimize hand travel, and maximize the number of pieces
    moved when you do make a large hand move.
Yes indeed, but I guess I had not really thought about what I was doing
before.  Thanks!
3. [snip]
[snip]
A 2 stage sort may not be necessary for smaller
collections, and sometimes a 3rd stage might be necessary. Many trays
hold types of parts which generally go into the same final storage bin
(most of my final storage is in slider lock resealable bags stored in
bins of various types), though this is not perfect.

Frank

Well Frank, I had not considered your sorting method before and I find it
VERY helpful.  I will keep it in mind.  Don't know I'll be needing
24-compartment trays or a 3rd stage, as my usable parts collection is quite
small, but I appreciate all the info.  Thanks!

-Andrew

GardenSLUG