 Storage / 1206
Re: Inventory of lego, software for keeping
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 02:52:24 GMT

William R Ward <bill@wards.net> wrote:

Mikkel Breiler <mibm@image.dk> writes:
Been out of the loop so to speak for 2-3 yrs now, but wanted to get
back into building and having fun. The constraint of 2-3 yrs have
been space, and with that situation not chanignin any time soon, I
have pondered how to enjoy a large collection of lego but in less
space. For instance I have no space for displaying finished models
but will have to tear them down into boxes again after hving played
around with it, before building something else (I will probably buy
a digital camera using this inability to enjoy a creation over a
longer period, as an excellent excuse to do so ;)

After having thought about it for a long time, I finally did it yesterday, I moved my
lego from my parents place (still find I am missing some boxes I KNOW I bought and
built at some point I just lost track of where I stored them....) But I will
eventually have it all in my spall apartment. I have decided to keep the large unique
sets in the apartment except when I have two, the 2nd sets and the small ones without
special elements go in the basement in large 50cm x 100cm cardboard moving
containers. I expect to put the original boxes down there too and simply sort by
complexity all the pieces in my apratment into 6 bedrollers (my bed is 120cm wide and
the bedrollers are 60cm and I can stack 3 of them next to each other between the legs
of the bed, so 6 is max. I am putting my 7'' in the basement also, but I am keeping
my 12'' and album and cd collections in the apartment.
This is the best solution so far.
I am still working on display space, which will be the sofa corner I never bothered
to buy the sofa for... not buying the sofa actually gives me more display space on
the sofa table, as it is still not used for social activity ;)
I am also still waiting for high resolution digital cameras to go down in price for
reasons more to do with documenting my record collection than my legocreations. But I
might use both as an excuse to start with the Lego camera and then buy a 'real' one
later one.

Inventory. I haven'øt solved that one yet. But I have noticed those missing boxes and
come to the conclusion that I ned a list of the sets  I have and of any missing
pieces for them. And also a note on where they are stored (basement, parents or the
'live' pieces used for display & building collection.

Well, my wife and I are living in a very small 2-bedroom house (600
square feet, or about 54 square meters), so I am in a similar
situation, though perhaps not as bad as yours.

Same size roughly, I have 63^2 meters, but I have a 1.5x6meter terrace I have
absolutely no use for. Still after 15 months it is completely empty.
In addition to that I have a 1.5x6 meter walkway that I use to go downstairs and out
the building, and which my neighbours also have, for the same. So those are both
wasted areas. I have 1 room with windows all on one side and a narrow corridor in the
middle of the back, separating my bed and 'office'. My bed is one corner hidden
behind a large 2m wide x 2m tall and 40cm thick white spacedividig wall piece, which
has 5x5 shelves in 33cmx33cm cubix form, being rather open with intent to divide the
room up in a sleeping section, I store 2000 30cm records in there with 500 7'' in 6
boxes on top so the sun can't easily shine on to the bed. So it is kind of dark
enough to sleep in there in the summer.
Lego 'takes place' in the middle of the floor, in the section off to the sofa corner
that never really became a sofacorner. I am now extending the area and putting all of
it there while I sort out which goes to the basement and which I wanna build with.
I plan to keep my unopened sets at my parents. So as to resist opening them :)

My wife is very
patient and supportive of my Lego habit, but there is physically
little space to store my completed MOC's.  One bedroom is an office,
and the other is where we sleep, so my Lego is in the dining area.

I have considered doing what you are talking about, or something like
it anyway, by getting some of the less commonly used pieces out of the
way to make more room for others.  One approach I've been considering
is to simply put a percentage of all my 2x4, 2x2, 1x2, and 1x4 bricks
into storage.  I have a very large number of these, due to having
purchased many 3033 tubs, and quite a large number of these are not in
use.  I was thinking that if my "active" supply gets too low, I can
retrieve the "backup" supply from storage and replenish it.  But this
way, my active supply is never completely out of any color/type of
element.

I might go for leaving a percentage of the pieces in the basement, and keep a good
healthy selection on hand. But I might need a ferw months to tell how significant
they are. I will need no more than so many tyres around of any given size. and I
might just store complete old sets from before 1990 and keep only the most piecerich
sets of the 1990 and onwards sets in the apartment.
I guess it is a question of "keep it simple, stupid" I have to learn ;)

Anyway, good luck and let us know what system you come up with.

better late than never

-breiler