 Storage / 1068
Re: Collection Sorting Stories?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 19:07:04 GMT

...But back to the topic of sorting and storage...  Since that day of
yesteryear, I have lived two decades without another attempt to organize my
Lego elements.  There developed in me a reverent joy in sifting through a
box of pieces in search for the one needed to finish a project.  The very
sound of it brings pleasure.  And so, I went on living, thinking that one
simply cannot enjoy the Lego experience without that degree of chaos from
which to derive creative results.

sounds like my collection.... all my "early collection" is / was stored in
a couple bags...which grew to a laundry hamper....which now is stored in
2 rubber maid containers (large 105 Litre ones).

Then there is the two large piles of boxes of largely unopened / or "assembled
first and then put back into the box" sets.  Not to mention a few assembled
but are on the shelf, and a few more sets unassembled in bags or boxes which
are in a few more rubbermaid containers.

My collection doesn't look anything like Frank Filz, nor have I acquired at
the rate of Kevin Salm.  But my rate of purchase is a major concern for my
mother........ who equates my aquisition of lego to "having christmas year
round".

But I completely agree with your (past) sentiments..... I love the sound
of rummaging through lego looking for certain pieces (*)...even though a
sorted collection allows you to build much faster.  I started sorting
earlier but then got both lazy, and aquired more lego than I could handle
sorting it.

For a couple years, since the end of my 2nd "break" from Lego, I put down a
list of stuff I wanted.  Since then I am amazed at how much of the stuff that
I wanted, I actually got.  I still, now have a long list of stuff I want, but
my focus nowadays is on MOC building and not on set "aquisition".

Which means that there will be less and less boxes lying around.  Unfortunately
that means much more time spent on "piece" accumulation to get the right pieces
for the project I am building.

Benjamin Medinets

(*) - my younger sister, who's 22 absolutely still detests the sound of
me rummaging through my collection.  She claims she can here it anywhere in
the house.....she hates it just as much when I run my trains.......
boy its fun to have such an irksome (to others) hobby... :)