 Storage / 1064
Re: Collection Sorting Stories?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 17:50:55 GMT

In lugnet.general, Scott E. Sanburn writes:
So, in conclusion, I have been rather amazed, astounded, and perplexed at
the lack of organization and the stuff I have. Does anyone else have similar
stories? It is fascinating to me!

I think .storage is an okay place for this topic.  Your initial post to
.general is probably good so people know the thread is there; thereafter
they can follow it here...

Yes, I too find this an interesting subject.  Here's my tale:

Part 1:

The first time I tried to organize my collection what when I was 1978.  At
the time I was a young lad with a fire engine, a rescue helicopter, and a
small box of spare parts my mother found at a yard sale.  She also gave me a
small plastic tool box with partitions to sort pieces.  I was new to Lego
and had yet to become an enthusiast.  But all that was about to change.

One winter's day, I sat at the dining room table, broke apart all of the
things I had built, and sorted them in the box based on which set they
belonged with.  Then, as young lads often do, I turned my attention
elsewhere in the home for maybe an hour.  When I returned, I found my older
brother had taken my bricks and assembled a structure, about two stories
tall at mini-fig scale and the width of a road plate.  It contained a diner
on the first floor, with kitchen.  The top floor was a two room apartment
where the owners lived.

I was furious!  All my organization had been thrown to the wind!  Elements
of my fire engine mixed in and lost forever in this monstrosity!

But somehow, against all odds dealing with a six year old, my brother
managed to calm me down and convince me to keep the diner assembled.  As
time passed, he agreed to help me add other buildings.  Soon we had a gas
station, a police station, a hospital, and more.  My collection had begun.
If not for a meddling older brother I might not have become a Lego Maniac,
but now I am.  And his building, now known as Dawson's Diner, remains the
oldest landmark in my expansive town.

Part 2:

...But back to the topic of sorting and storage...  Since that day of
yesteryear, I have lived two decades without another attempt to organize my
Lego elements.  There developed in me a reverent joy in sifting through a
box of pieces in search for the one needed to finish a project.  The very
sound of it brings pleasure.  And so, I went on living, thinking that one
simply cannot enjoy the Lego experience without that degree of chaos from
which to derive creative results.

But this past year has brought new viewpoints on the matter.  My collection
has not grown at the rate of some other AFOL's, but it has been a steady
growth over the years, without any true Dark Age.  The number of pieces and
number of boxes to sift through has become large.  Meanwhile, my desire to
build more MOCs has grown, due in part to lack of true Town sets from TLC,
and also due to increased contact with the Lugnet community.

The last two MOCs I tried to built took several times longer to build than
was reasonable.  True (like Scott), I was amazed to come across sets I
didn't recall buying and finding elements for which I did not know which
sets they came from!  Furthermore I was amazed to find no matter what piece
I needed, I almost always had it in numbers --*If* I had the patience to
search for it, which could take hours.

The problem is now clear:  My collection has gone from being a big-small one
to being a small-big one.  It is no longer possible to work efficiently
without first organizing everything I have is some fashion.

And so it is that I began 2002.  I have planned a large Castle project this
year, but stage one is to sort all of my Lego that is not assembled into a
model.  I have been requisitioning copy/printer paper boxes from work, and
have begun the long process of sorting basic bricks by color, and
specialized elements by style-groups.  I expect this will take months...

Cheers,
-Hendo